Tuesday 1 September 2009

Plymouth Herald seen in Truro

It’s been over 20 years since I last saw the Plymouth Herald on sale in Truro at all.  Back then, it was an “evening” paper, usually on sale in Truro by about 2.30 at the latest.  It was one of the few papers that I actually made a point of buying at all.  Most others actually didn’t interest me.  I used to buy the West Briton Argus when that was produced.  It was a Monday tabloid update to the Thursday broadsheet West Briton, and was very cheap.  I think when the Argus got absorbed into the main Thursday paper, The Argus would have been on sale for something like 15p on a Monday. 

Anyway, I was in town this morning, and what did I happen to see as I walked into a local newsagent this morning?  The Plymouth Herald.  Now a morning papers, as it has been since October 2006.  Still relatively cheap at just 36p, which is in fact cheaper than it’s sister paper, the Western Morning News. 

I’m hoping that this is a sign of a more permanent return to Cornwall’s newsagents.  Years ago, before my living memory, there was a Cornwall Evening Herald as well.  Perhaps the Plymouth Herald could also produce a separate edition for Cornwall, much like its sister paper does.  I for one would be all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment